Dolphins Hall History

The history of The Dolphins Hall Tetbury

In 1922 the donations of Tetbury townspeople and the proceeds of the sale of a small playing field together with a loan from Lloyds Bank were used to buy a further two parcels of land the whole of which to be known as the Memorial Recreation Ground in memory of the Tetburians who fought in the great war, 1914-18, where some 67 lost their lives.

Various buildings already on site evolved into the headquarters of the Cricket and football Clubs, the Bowling Green and clubhouse were later additions. The skateboard run, the Multiple Use Games Area (M.U.G.A) and the recent expanded and updated children’s play area came later still. The latest addition to the Memorial Ground is the Youth Club currently occupying a pod inside the New Church Street gates. There are plans to offer the Youth Club a purpose built venue within the revamped Dolphins Hall.

The Rec is also home to the historic and hotly contested Tetbury Summer Show and, more recently, Tetbury Fiesta – an annual Town event offering sideshows and entertainment and showcasing local musicians.

The foundation stone for the Hall was laid by Lady Helena Gibbs in November 1959. Born her Serene Highness Princess Helena of Teck, great-great granddaughter of George 111, Lady Helena lived in Old Coombe House at the end of New Church Street for many years.

For over 50 years the Hall has played a crucial part in Town life, providing many clubs and societies from amateur dramatics, film shows and exercise groups to pre-school playgroups with all they need.

Tetbury Memorial Recreation Ground and Dolphins Hall Trust and Dolphins Recreation Centre is a ‘Management Trust’ run by committee.

The objective of the Tetbury Memorial Recreation Ground and Dolphins Hall Trust / Dolphins Recreation Centre Charities is to improve the level of social welfare, to further and support the conditions of social life of all inhabitants within the area of benefit, centrally without distinction of political, religious or other opinions.

The images below show the development of the Dolphins Hall and associated charities. Please click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

Newspaper extract detailing the construction of the Dolphins Hall
Please click on the image below to open a full page image of the newspaper article.

Flow chart showing how the various Recreation Ground Charities Developed
Please click on the image below to load a full size pdf document.